To limit the probability of:
- an excessive loss of water due to evaporation,
- the freezing of concrete before the initial set,
- slowed hydration of the concrete, or
- the freezing and expansion of the excess water not used
This is to limit the probability of:
- a failure to develop sufficient compressive strength
before building loads are applied,
- shrinkage and cracking, or
- the failure of internal bonds.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural
integrity, which could lead to:
- structural failure, or
- where concrete supports or is used in an environmental
separator, the displacement or failure of required environmental separation
elements, which could lead to the deterioration of building elements.
This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.