To limit the probability of:
- an inadequate distribution of roof or floor loads transmitted
through framing elements, which could lead to overstressing of hollow
- an inadequate barrier, which could lead to termites
accessing structural wood elements, or
- the ingress of water into the cores of hollow masonry
This is to limit the probability of:
- compromised structural integrity, or
- where elements support or are part of an environmental
separator, the displacement or failure of required environmental separation
elements, which could lead to the deterioration of building elements.
For floors and elements supporting floors, this is to limit
the probability of excessive deflection, which could lead to persons
tripping or falling, which could lead to harm to persons.