To limit the probability that columns will be unable
to resist expected gravity loads transmitted through beams, which
could lead to the structural failure of columns.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural integrity,
which could lead to:
- structural failure, or
- for environmental separators or elements supporting
an environmental separator, the displacement or failure of required
environmental separation elements, which could lead to the deterioration
of building elements, or
- an inability to resist expected loads, which could lead
- the excessive deformation or deflection of walls, and
- the excessive deflection or vibration of floors.
This is to limit the probability of:
- the space being unsuitable for its intended use, or
- damage to the building.