To limit the probability of:
- inadequate strength of individual members,
- discontinuity of individual members, or
- compromised load transfer among members.
This is to limit the probability:
- that the column members will be unable to resist expected
vertical loads, which could lead to buckling of individual members,
- of compromised resistance to buckling, or
- of unequal load sharing among members of built-up wood
columns, which could lead to progressive structural failures of column
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural
integrity, which could lead to:
- structural failure, or
- for environmental separators or elements supporting
an environmental separator, excessive deformation or deflection of
exterior walls or roofs, which could lead to the displacement or failure
of required environmental separation elements, which could lead to
the deterioration of building elements.
This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.