To limit the probability that the performance of
the masonry units used, with respect to their properties and compressive
strength, will fall significantly below expectations.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural
integrity, which could lead to:
- structural failure,
- for environmental separators or elements supporting
an environmental separator, the displacement or failure of required
environmental separation elements, which could lead to the deterioration
of building elements, or
- an inability to resist expected loads, which could lead
- the excessive deformation or deflection of walls, and
- the excessive deflection or vibration of floors.
This is to limit the probability of:
- the space being unsuitable for its intended use, or
- damage to the building.