To limit the probability of an excessively steep
slope in areas that are not intended to be barrier-free:
- under difficult surface conditions related to the weather,
in the case of exterior ramps,
- in residential occupancies, where users may include
those with a limited ability to negotiate ramps,
- in industrial occupancies, where users are likely to
be better able to negotiate ramps, and
- in other occupancies, where users are likely to be able
to negotiate ramps, but are present in significant numbers, or are
unlikely to use ramps without assistance.
This is to limit the probability of:
- persons losing their balance, or
- persons losing their balance in an emergency, which
could lead to delays in the evacuation or movement of persons to a
This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.