To limit the probability of an insufficient bearing
area for footings, which could lead to compressive failure and excessive
settlement of underlying soil, which could lead to structural damage
to the foundation and the building, which could lead to an inability
to support vertical building loads or lateral earth loads.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural
integrity, which could lead to:
- structural failure,
- where elements support or are part of an environmental
separator, the displacement or failure of required environmental separation
elements, which could lead to the deterioration of building elements,
- an inability to resist expected loads, which could lead
- the excessive deformation or deflection of walls, or
- the excessive deflection or vibration of floors.
This is to limit the probability of:
- the space being unsuitable for its intended use, or
- damage to the building.