To limit the probability of the entrapment of moisture
inside closed building envelopes, which could lead to:
- excessive post-installation shrinkage and warping,
- wood decay, which could lead to a loss of lumber strength,
- the exposure of other materials that are moisture-sensitive
and susceptible to decay to high moisture levels and decay fungi.
This is to limit the probability of:
- compromised structural integrity, or
- where lumber supports or is used in an environmental
separator, the displacement or failure of required environmental separation
elements, which could lead to the deterioration of building elements,
which could lead to compromised structural integrity.
Where lumber supports or is used in floors, this is to limit
the probability of excessive deflection or vibration of floors, which
could lead to a loss of balance, tripping or falling, which could
lead to harm to persons.