To limit the probability of:
- excessively rapid corrosion, which could lead to the
excessive deflection or structural failure of lintels, or
- the accumulation of corrosion by-products between lintels
and masonry, which could lead to compressive stresses.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural
integrity, which could lead to:
- structural failure of masonry construction,
- where masonry construction is part of an environmental
separator, the excessive deformation, displacement or failure of required
environmental separation elements, which could lead to deterioration,
which could lead to further compromised structural integrity, or
- in assemblies exposed to moisture or the exterior, damage
and deterioration, which could lead to further compromised structural
This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.