To limit the probability of insufficient contact
area between mortar and masonry veneer, which could lead to:
- the wall being unable to support its own weight or lateral
- insufficient bonding area between ties and mortar, or
- insufficient bond strength between masonry units.
This is to limit the probability of:
- the structural failure of masonry veneer, or
- where masonry is exposed to precipitation, the cracking
of masonry or mortar, which could lead to excessive water ingress,
which could lead to the deterioration of building elements, which
could lead to compromised structural integrity.
This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.