To limit the probability of excessive lateral loading
on foundation walls, which could lead to the movement or cracking
of foundation walls or building superstructures.
This is to limit the probability of compromised structural integrity,
which could lead to:
- structural failure,
- for environmental separators or elements supporting
environmental separators, the displacement or failure of required
environmental separation elements, which could lead to the deterioration
of building elements, which could lead to further compromised structural
- an inability to resist expected loads, which could lead
- the excessive deformation or deflection of walls, or
- the excessive deflection or vibration of floors.
This is to limit the probability of:
- the space being unsuitable for its intended use, or
- damage to the building.